Have you ever heard of Dental Veneers? Dental veneers (sometimes called porcelain veneers or dental porcelain laminates) are wafer-thin, custom-made shells of tooth-colored materials designed to cover the front surface of teeth to improve your appearance. These shells are bonded to the front of the teeth changing their color, shape, size, or length.
Do I need Dental Veneers?
Dental veneers can be used to fix a variety of different problems. It may be time for you to consider dental veneers if you suffer from any of the following:
- Teeth that are discoloured — either because of root canal treatment; stains from tetracycline or other drugs, excessive fluoride or other causes; or the presence of large resin fillings that have discoloured the tooth
- Teeth that are worn down
- Teeth that are chipped or broken
- Teeth that are misaligned, uneven, or irregularly shaped (for example, have craters or bulges in them)
- Teeth with gaps between them (to close the space between these teeth)
How are veneers inserted?
Anything to do with permanently modifying your teeth can probably seem a little scary. But it’s a fairly common procedure. Getting a dental veneer usually requires three trips to the dentist – one for a consultation and two to make and apply the veneers. One tooth or many teeth can simultaneously undergo the veneering process described below.
First, the targeted tooth or teeth is trimmed/shaved slightly, just to the actual size of the veneer. Then a mold is made of the tooth and color matched, and sent out to be processed. The dentist will put a temporary on until the veneers come back and are ready to be inserted.
Then to prepare your tooth to receive the veneer, your tooth will be cleaned, polished Next a special cement is applied to the veneer and the veneer is then placed on your tooth. Once properly position on the tooth, your dentist will apply a special light beam to the dental veneer, which activates chemicals in the cement, causing it to harden or cure very quickly.
How Long Do Dental Veneers Last?
Veneers generally last a very long time, anywhere between 7 and 15 years. When you notice wearing or changes, check in with your dentist. Dental veneers do not require any special care. Continue to follow good oral hygiene practices, including brushing, flossing, and rinsing with an antiseptic mouthwash as you normally would.
Benefits of Veneers
- Strength and durability – Porcelain veneers are made from a strong, durable material, you can continue to enjoy your favorite foods without worry.
- Long-lasting solution – Veneers can last as long as 10 to 15 years, with proper upkeep.
- Natural-looking results – Porcelain veneers are specially made to match your natural tooth colour.
- Customized for your smile – Impressions of your teeth will be sent to a laboratory so the veneers are hand-crafted to fit your individual tooth.
- Quick, simple procedure – Typically placement of the porcelain veneers can be complete within in two visits.
- Stain-resistant – Porcelain veneers are resistant to staining, unlike natural teeth. You can maintain brilliant pearly whites, while still enjoying coffee, tea, and other products that normally cause staining of the teeth.
- Cosmetic benefits – Porcelain veneers improve teeth that are cracked, chipped, broken, badly discoloured, widely spaced, or slightly misaligned. Veneers are solely used for cosmetic purposes and placed in front, visible teeth.
- No recovery – Once the placement procedure is complete, patients can leave our practice and immediately carry on with normal, everyday activities.
- Can be combined with other treatments – Tooth whitening treatment as a finishing touch to your new, gorgeous smile.
- Enhance confidence – An improved smile can help you feel more confident about your appearance, ultimately giving you a better quality of life.