GeneralHome ImprovementLifestyle

4 Health Hazards of an Old Home

Some people love old homes for their characteristics and charm that come from the history of the home, while others like brand-new condominium apartments. Whether you are an old home lover or a modern home lover, both have advantages and disadvantages. An old home might be priced lower but needs more repairs and renovation, while a new home might require a higher price but it has everything ready for you. If you are considering to buy an old home, repairs and renovations are not the only things you need to take into account, but also you need to inspect the building for 4 common health hazards that an old home might contain. These health hazards might cause serious health illness if they are not eliminated before moving in. Let’s take a look at what these health hazards are.

Hazards of an Old Home

1.    Pests

Can you imagine moving into a home that thousands of spiders, roaches, termites, bats, rats, and mice have called home long way before you moved in? I believe no one wants to live with them. Not only are they very disturbing but also extremely dangerous. They might bite, which might result in serious illness. They spread germs and bacteria, and they chew up and eat away your belongings. If you are looking at an old home, most likely it contains pests. You should engage pest control professionals to inspect and eliminate before moving in.


2.    Lead Paint

If you are looking for a home built before 1940, it most likely contains lead. Lead is a substance that is considered harmful to children’s development and mental health when it is ingested. Toddlers and kids might chew on window sills where lead paint may have been applied in the past. The lead paint had been banned for use after 1950, so a home built after 1950 should not have lead paint. It is recommended to have all lead paint removed before moving in to prevent potential damage to health. Removing sidings that contains lead paint is not cheap, you should expect to fork out around $12,000 to $15,000.


3.    Mould

Mould naturally occurs in environments with high moisture content. Mostly, it occurs around on the floor, walls, and carpets around bathrooms and kitchens because most water use happens in these 2 places. An old home might be more prone to mould issues as they might not be as well sealed as newer homes. Even though mould is a natural part of our environment, it can cause health problems, including allergic reactions like sneezing, runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. When you suspect mould, you can get professionals to remove the mould then determine and get rid of the water source—leaks and condensations.

4.    Asbestos

Asbestos is a naturally occurring substance that is considered harmful and can result in lung cancer when it is released into the air. It is only hazardous and causes serious scarring of lung tissue when it becomes airborne. If the material is not worn out, it would not cause a problem. But it is a potential health hazard. An old home built before 1970 would likely contain material associated with asbestos. You should have an asbestos inspection before moving in and remove it entirely. I would recommend the removal of the material that contains asbestos even if it is not “friable” just to prevent it from becoming airborne in the future.

Related posts
BusinessHealthHome ImprovementLifestyle

How to Properly Prune a Tree

Tree care is a continual process of helping your trees to be as healthy as possible whilst removing…
Read more

Fishing Charters – A Trip to Remember

If you are looking for a truly memorable experience that you can cherish with your friends and…
Read more
Home Improvement

The Importance of Working with Certified Arborists

Working with Certified Arborists Anyone can cut down a tree with the right tools, but to do…
Read more
Become a Trendsetter
Sign up for Davenport’s Daily Digest and get the best of Davenport, tailored for you.